Use and expand my experience as an IT Director, Manager of Web Development and Systems Analyst to improve the customer experience and increase profitability of a Web-based service while mentoring and building a technology team to further these goals beyond what I could accomplish alone.
I enjoy learning new technologies, building tools that make future development easier and eliminating repetitive, manual tasks. Even moreso, I love sharing these tools and techniques with others to help build skills among programming teams.
Programming: Ruby (Rails), Perl, PHP, complex HTML/CSS Web standards-driven design, jQuery.
Other technical: Linux administration (gentoo, Ubuntu), git, MySQL, testing with RSpec and Selenium
Information technology director and Web development manager for the official Rhode Island state government portal.
- Center for Digital Government Best of the Web - State portal category - 4th place - 2011 and 2012
- Center for Digital Government Best of the Web finalist - 2009
- Best Fit Integrator Awards - 2008, 2010
- ec3 Award - Innovative Use of the Web in Government
- Achievement Awards: 4th place in the Government to Government category for the REX Portal (Rhode Island eGovernment Exchange) -- a portal-based repository of information, guidelines, policies and technical resources to aid in the rapid deployment of shared data using XML.
- More award information available at http://www.ri.gov/about/awards.php
Designed, built, and optimized the information architecture for the Rhode Island news Web site - projo.com. Used advanced Perl techniques (object orientation, modules, dynamic page templating) to efficiently create fast, intuitive CGI applications for projo.com and the 20 other Web sites operated by Belo Interactive. Created advanced parsers to automatically flow legacy system data into standard XML formats. Created internal applications to aid production workflow in maintaining a 100,000+ page Web site.
- projo.com/art and projo.com/music - Allows local artists and musicians to showcase their work to our vast audience
- July 2004: Batten Award for Tribute to the Troops -- "An effortless, interactive database that allows readers to create a Web page for an individual soldier or troop and post messages or photos."
- Training, support, security analysis and quality assurance for Perl programming efforts at other Belo newspapers and television stations
- Programming for rimonthly.com. Developing interactive features, including an online ballot for the Best of Rhode Island annual reader's poll.
Major Qualifying Project (Senior Thesis): Triple Tier Web Accessible Database with Java GUI
Interactive Qualifying Project: Technological Education for Inner City Elementary Schools. Set the trend for an after-school Computer Education Club at the Elm Park Community School in Worcester, MA; Taught a diverse group of children from grades 3 through 6 about computers and the Internet
Member of Alpha Psi Omega Honor Fraternity